Brighten things up with this fun paper lantern craft!
Paper lanterns make any occasion or decor more festive. Here’s an idea for a paper lantern craft for both kids and adults that can turn them into
something truly special.
- Paper lanterns. (Click here to find a variety of different lanterns.)
- Tissue paper
- Glue stick
- Decide on a design for your lantern. Simple shapes work the best.
- Lightly draw the shapes you wish to use on tissue paper, and carefully cut them out.
- Use glue stick to completely cover the back of your tissue paper shapes (one at a time). **Go very slowly when doing this because it’s very easy to tear your tissue paper. If your cutout shape does tear, you can still use it if you glue it on extra carefully to your lantern.
- When gluing your shapes to the lantern, stretch the lantern so that it is completely open. Then, starting in the middle, carefully press your cutout so it sticks to the paper on the lantern. Work outward, adding extra glue to the edges of your cutout if necessary.
We got our initial inspiration for this craft from our friend Sonya at homeschool-activities.com. She and her daughter created an amazing dragon lantern as part of a unit they were learning about. To see how they made it, click on her dragon crafts page.